Monday, February 17, 2014

The Standard Diary

My sister purchased these diaries from an estate sale in Seattle and sent them to me. They are in excellent condition considering they were used in 1955-1957. Each measures approximately 2.75 by 4.25 inches. 






The calendar consists of one week on two pages, Sunday through Saturday. In the front, printed information is provided for Rates of Postage, Public Holidays (by state), Railroad Distances Between Cities, Church Observances, Wedding Anniversaries and Birth Stones, and Population of Principal Cities. In the back, there are pages to record addresses, cash accounts (by month), and telephone numbers.  




These diaries belonged to Thor Henrikson and it appears he used the calendars for his business travels and personal commitments. When he wasn't traveling for work, he was usually fishing.

In a Google search on the Internet, I found that Mr. Henrikson was an inventor of several patents between 1954 and 1961 relating to railway cars.

I also learned from death records that Mr. Henrikson lived from 1898-1971. I was able to find an obituary for his daughter, Rita. She passed away in December 2013, so the diaries were likely part of her estate since her parents had pre-deceased her.

It makes me wonder where my own diaries may end up and whether anyone would be interested to read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment